I need to take the car into the shop, so I decided to stay close to home. I went walking due east of my apartment complex, in the Penrose neighborhood. Taking pictures at night in a residential neighborhood is always a tricky prospect. There are more people around to wonder why you're lurking around with a camera. As a general rule, I don't shoot directly into people's houses; I try to respect privacy as much as possible. Which leads to shots around and between houses, like this one of someone's back yard:

For instance, while I was setting up this next shot, a car pulled up into the driveway of the house. As the lady got out, I deployed what my friend Liz refers to as "calm friendliness", explaining that I'm just this nutty-yet-harmless guy who likes to do photography at night and complimenting her on her BEAUTIFUL TREE and would you mind ever so much if I took a picture of it??

The woman, who it turns out didn't live there, said in a thick German accent: "The tree does not belong to me. The tree belongs to no one. It belongs to God."
I gave a sweep of all the main roads south of 6th Street, hesitating here and there. Did I really want to get a shot of that bicycle festooned with Christmas lights? Yeah... no... It seemed like it would be a bitch to get the colors right. The nagging pressure of arbitrary time limits has made me feel rushed, offsetting my natural inclination to take risks with an impatient need to get home before a certain someone's bedtime. As a result, I've taken a bunch of shitty pictures this evening.
Penrose is bordered at the southern edge by the Pike, meaning now we go from residential to commercial.

I love parking garages. Technically, this is a bank drive-thru, but it still has the same vibe. The concrete pillars. The fluorescent lights. I could do a whole coffee table book of just parking garages. It's got a whole late-90's thing to it. Autechre and Pole and all those glitchy bands, that's the soundtrack to parking garages.
I walked over to the Giant to get a bag of donuts for me and Machete Tycoon. This is the bench outside the entrance where the employees smoke their cigarettes and contemplate whatever it is they contemplate and their faces fall a little lower.


For instance, while I was setting up this next shot, a car pulled up into the driveway of the house. As the lady got out, I deployed what my friend Liz refers to as "calm friendliness", explaining that I'm just this nutty-yet-harmless guy who likes to do photography at night and complimenting her on her BEAUTIFUL TREE and would you mind ever so much if I took a picture of it??

The woman, who it turns out didn't live there, said in a thick German accent: "The tree does not belong to me. The tree belongs to no one. It belongs to God."
I gave a sweep of all the main roads south of 6th Street, hesitating here and there. Did I really want to get a shot of that bicycle festooned with Christmas lights? Yeah... no... It seemed like it would be a bitch to get the colors right. The nagging pressure of arbitrary time limits has made me feel rushed, offsetting my natural inclination to take risks with an impatient need to get home before a certain someone's bedtime. As a result, I've taken a bunch of shitty pictures this evening.
Penrose is bordered at the southern edge by the Pike, meaning now we go from residential to commercial.

I love parking garages. Technically, this is a bank drive-thru, but it still has the same vibe. The concrete pillars. The fluorescent lights. I could do a whole coffee table book of just parking garages. It's got a whole late-90's thing to it. Autechre and Pole and all those glitchy bands, that's the soundtrack to parking garages.
I walked over to the Giant to get a bag of donuts for me and Machete Tycoon. This is the bench outside the entrance where the employees smoke their cigarettes and contemplate whatever it is they contemplate and their faces fall a little lower.


No comments:
Post a Comment