Friday, January 23, 2009

Jan 20, 2009

Sidelined recently by a sinus infection. First night feeling okay to go out, but it's still gravedigger's-ass cold. Can't find my hobo gloves. Perfect gloves for night photography: warm hands, bare fingertips give me better grip on small items and buttons. Someone knitted those for me a long time ago.

On days when the weather's alright, I like to take 6 or 7 mile long walks on this trail here called the Washington and Old Dominion Trail that runs west from Arlington out through Fairfax County and into Loudoun. I drove down to the lot off Wilson Boulevard to get some shots along a stretch of the trail, but man, without gloves it was soul-crushingly cold and it was only 7 p.m.

The Trail is part of the National Park Service, which means it's closed after dark. In order to discourage joggers and people like me, there's no streetlamps down the long stretches between major road crossings. I had brought my hand-held flash and my gels to experiment with my own artificial illumination, but after ten minutes I knew this was gonna be a short night.

Ohjesusmotherbitch it's COLD.

When I go out for these shoots, I usually give myself at least two hours. The reason: well, I'm a nitpicker when it comes to setting up shots. I like to take my time with the compositions. I don't like to be rushed (one reason why I usually like to work alone, and also why I shoot more in the summer than the winter).

My handbones are starting to feel like radioactive lead. Not gonna be able to fuck around tonight, but I need to get SOMETHING.

Here, here's some pretty tennis courts...

*pok* *pok*

Aaaaand here's this thing. What is it, a historic site or something? Here, here's a link.

choo choo

Notice how both of these were the two things that were already well-lit? Yeah, I'm done.

No comments: