Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Apr 10, 2010


So, I had the bright idea that I wanted to shoot out in the woods, where there was absolutely no light pollution around. I would get some tripod-mounted long exposure shots, some camera-mounted flash shots, and some tripod-mounted shots with the handheld flash and the colored gels. So Leanne and I drove out to Reston, to the woods I used to tromp around in all the time as a boy and knew like the back of my hand, which was good because the absolute lack of artificial light made for a very Blair Witchy experience.


Two things I didn't take into account:
- There was NO light, artificial or otherwise, which meant even 30-second non-flash-assisted exposures resulted in a black rectangle.
- My camera's auto-focus doesn't work when it can't see anything to focus on (duh!)


Basically, I was stuck shooting blind with the camera-mounted flash, manually focusing on things I couldn't see (next time we'll bring a much more powerful maglite).



No comments: