Saturday, July 18, 2009

Jul 19, 2009

BAD NEWS TO REPORT: So, I hadn't printed out any of my photos since I had started using the new digital SLR I got last November. Monday evening Lydia informed me of the Wednesday afternoon sign-up for the Wall Mountables group show at DCAC. Now, normally I detest doing things really rushed like that, but I weighed all the variables in my head and I saw that there was a small window that I could actually pull it off in time, so I went down and signed up. Got a really plum spot, too...I was second in line!

But for some reason, all my photos were printing out really red. I talked with the printer, and after a bit of back and forth, we finally determined the problem is in my laptop: apparently, my screen is not color calibrated. It's one of those problems that you don't really think of unless someone else points it out, because why would you? So essentially, it's like I've been color balancing all my photos in Photoshop completely color blind...they look good to me, but crappy in real life.

I never claimed to really know my shit about this whole digital photography stuff yet anyway.

So, now I have to buy this color-calibrating software...it's like a hundred bucks. And then I'll need to go back and re-balance my photos. A small setback.

Has anyone else out there with nice color-calibrated CRT monitors been noticing any red shift in my work?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey I got a shoutout! And hey- I can leave a comment! (now that you've convinced me to sign my name and life over to google).

Any progress on the photo printing since then? I'd like to see your results- and compare screens.